Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Dangers of Living in a Digital World

Dilbert.com
The Dilbert comic above is a great example of the dangers of the digital world.  Technology has allowed us to communicate so much faster that it has increased the expectations for everyone to communicate quickly.  When was the last time you read a complete email rather than just skimming for the most important information than clicking next so you could do more in a shorter amount of time.  The more and more dependent we become on digital tools, the harder it becomes for us to take a break or remove ourselves from the them.

I've heard of church congregations having "technology fasts" and not using things digital for a week.  I would very much like to try that experiment and see what a week would be like without my computer.  The trouble with that, however, is that so many of my classes require an online presence that my grades would suffer as a result.  Also, as much as my Digital Civilization class makes me want to plug in and make my presence online known, I fear the result of becoming too far plugged in would be that unplugging for a while might be more detrimental than beneficial.