Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Andrew's Allegory of the Cave

Don't be fooled by the smile, I am miserable that
I didn't really get anything done in this little closet!
The problem with caves is that you often get stuck in them.

Imagine in your minds a cave where the inhabitants stay for hours on end everyday.  Instead of being surrounded by thick walls of earth and stone, these wall are flat and made of concrete and drywall.  There are no windows in this cave except for one on the only door which looks into a dark hallway.  The cave has lighted rectangles to which minds are drained.

I hope you get an idea of size - small.
Notice the only window of the room...
I spent many hours in this cave today and I wonder if I really got anything done.  My goal in entering the cave was to create some meaningful content for this blog that would relate to this class.  Unfortunately, all I ended up doing was finishing up an old draft blog post, putting a license on my blog, watched numerous YouTube videos, and unintentionally offending my friend.

So the moral of the story is GET OUT, spend time outside, don't study in a closet, just because your friends are wasting time doesn't mean you should too!

Just for humor's sake: watch this about Procrastination

Photo's taken today by Taran Esplin and Andrew DeWitt respectfully.

4 comments:

Danny said...

Plato also taught using an allegory of a cave (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave). In relation to his allegory and yours, you can kind of classify the lighted rectangles as the caves we're chained to which affect our perspective on many aspects of life.

Andrew said...

Awesome comment Danny! Thank you so much for getting my hint of Plato. I would say that the lighted rectangles are the shadows of the real objects that pass before the fire. How can we escape from living our lives chained behind computer screens?! If we spend to much time on the computer, who will have real face to face communications. How will react when we are forced to leave this "cave"?

Kristen Nicole said...

I'm really glad you posted this because I've been thinking a lot about the allegory of the cave recently. I keep trying to get out of mine by listening sincerely to what other people think and then responding, but sometimes I fail to communicate and retreat back to my cave. Thanks so much for posting this and drawing me out to read what someone else thinks!

Anonymous said...

loved the video. Spending too much time in our "caves" really is born out of fear: maybe fear of getting something done; fear of the thing itself; fear of not doing well... well, time to conquer that fear. I have work to do. :)

Post a Comment