Sunday, October 10, 2010

Book List for Mini-Book Club!

Well, as soon I heard about our new assignment to have a mini-book club in this class my mind started racing about what books I should read.  I immediately thought about "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens because I had already read it, I had posted a bookmark on Diigo about it and my DigiCiv teachers mentioned my bookmark.

Next, when I got home I looked at the Honors Program course description for this Honors 202 class because I knew that it had a list of books for the class.  So from that I added three more books to my list, which finally looked like this:

  • A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
    I choose this book because it is an excellent work about the French Revolution and would help me and my group better understand it.
  • The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester
    First of all, the title is awesome and the subject matter fascinating: the story behind the making of the Oxford English Dictionary.  I thought this book would do quite well in relationship with our study of the Enlightenment and the organization of knowledge.
  • The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith
    Having already talked significantly about capitalism in class, I thought that this would be an excellent choice for a more in-depth read and better look at Adam Smith's ideas of the separation of labor, the market and the invisible hand.