Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Recent Online Missionary Work

In my digital civilization class, our teacher arranged a neat opportunity for us to speak with the missionaries serving in the Referral Center Mission.  It was really cool because I didn't even realize that there was a Referral Center Mission.  It turns out that, yes there is, and they do a lot of good.

The fascinating thing about this lecture was its timing.  Just this past week I've been thinking that I ought work on sharing the gospel more using the online tools that I have.  While thus thinking my mind drifted back to the good-old mission days and I wondered what my mission (Singapore) was like.  So, like a good citizen of the digital world I began my what-is-my-mission-like-now quest on Google.

After some searching I found out that The Church is building a new meeting house in Singapore.  That's exciting news for me, but the Singapore Church website leaves me wanting for information so I thought Google would again aid me on my quest.  One neat thing I found was a street view of the construction site (included at the end of the blog).

The most interesting thing I found was a forum of local residents talking about the Church.  When I got on the forum, the one of the latest comments said "Wat's Mormon?Are they really christians?"[sic]  Having recently felt the need to be more proactive in sharing what I believe I decided to join the conversation.


I created an account for the forum website and I shared a small bit about what I believe (go look for yourself).  It is interesting the follow up comments.


Summary
We, who know what we know, need to share what we believe with others. D&C 88:81 And I am trying to do that.


Sweet Google Map Street view of New LDS meeting house constructionsite in Singapore:


View Larger Map

3 comments:

Gideon Burton said...

Great job of being proactive about this cause. You've connected back to Singapore and started to think through where and how you could do more. What digital tools would you use besides Google street view and an online forum?

Andrew said...

I think I could have the most impact on people that know me. I want to better utilize Facebook, email, this blog, and twitter to share my testimony. Like the missionaries said, I don't want what I write to sound starchy and prefabricated. To prevent that, I will be more active online, be more personal, and add lots of humor to my stuff. When I get an online following, I can be a great force for good by sprinkling/frosting my blog/updates with the gospel.

Anonymous said...

I want to share too! Let's brainstorm...how about an online Book of Mormon book review? Or a blog where we pull out certain principles in the chapters of the Book of Mormon.
I have been thinking about this a lot too.
Thanks for posting on my blog about asking members in the class to help with the final project. Megan and I will create a FB group and flyers for the event.

Post a Comment