Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sharing - the New Caring

Hello readers,

Look at your blog, now look at mine, now back at your blog, now back to mine.  Sadly, it's not like mine, but if you stopped not sharing cool stuff it could be like mine.  Did you know that 2 out of my two digital civilization teachers think that sharing stuff is important in this digital age.

Ok that's enough of that...  BUT I want to make a point:  Sharing is important!

Two Examples:

Case 1) I spend a lot of time doing
Bright object in the sky commonly
 known as"The Moon"
research in the astronomy computer lab on the forth floor of the Eyring Science Center. (Bet you didn't even know that existed, anyway...) While I was there earlier this week, one of the astronomy graduate students who knew me came in and asked me if I would be willing to learn how to teach some 6th graders the phases of the moon.  I said yes and she explained that she is studying what the best way to teach this topic is.  She shared with me this opportunity to learn and do service.  Now, because she had shared with me, she got something in return that she didn't even expect (i.e. blessings come from sharing).  What was it? Well, I shared with her that my wife actually teaches 6th grade and I would ask her if she would be interested in having her student taught.  My wife's reply later: "That sounds like a great idea!"

  • The moral of this story is that because someone shared: I benefited, the sharer benefited, and even a third party (my wife) benefited.


Case 2) I was writing my reflective blog post yesterday and I was checking my link for BrainHoney.com and I started looking around the BrainHoney website.  While I was there I found this video about BrainHoney and shared it with my wife.  Later that evening she watched the video and immediately started trying out BrainHoney as a way of tracking her 6th grade students' progress against state standards.  She liked it so much that she want to share it with her other 6th grade teacher coworkers.
  • The moral of this story is that sharing can help others and they will "pay it forward".